Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bristol...One Week Later

So Jeanné told me I was responsible for posting regarding our recent trip to Bristol.  And here I week later...finally getting around to doing it.

Karen, Tim, Chris, Dawn, and dad (Gary) arrived at our home at 11:15 pm that Friday.  We had began winding down and getting ready for bed when a sudden surge of testosterone engulfed the house.  We were going to Bristol RIGHT NOW!  No waiting till morning or getting beauty sleep.  Who needs sleep?  It wasn't until 40 hours of being awake I realized that I do.

So we got to Bristol sometime after 5 am eastern.  Everyone decided to get a few hours of sleep before heading to the track...that is...everyone but me.  I was feeling like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.  I was at BRISTOL and it was my first NASCAR race.

Once everyone awoke and showered, we walked to the track to get our credentials (Pit Passes, baby!!!).  Jimmy Spencer was in the trailer where we turned in our paperwork.  It was exciting to see a racing celebrity...but it was just the beginning.  Inside the pits over the next two days we were up close and personal to Jeff Gordon, Brian Vickers, Carl Edwards, Jimmy Johnson, Chad Knaus, Robby Gordon, Dale Jr., Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, and many more.

Our seats where on turn 2.  We had a great view of the entire track.  Then the command was given, "Gentlemen, start...your...engines...!!!!"  Goosebumps covered by body as the engines started and the cars began to circle the track.  After taking in the sound of the cars for a few laps, Jeanné and I put on our headsets and began listening to the scanner and our favorite (and not so favorite) drivers.  The Dollar General car finished 15th...and my boy, Kevin Harvick, won the Nationwide race.  Unfortunately the next day, as Harvick and Vickers struggled...the evil Kyle Busch took the checkered flag.  Not even the M&M car's biggest fan ( home) was happy...he was upset because it was a Snickers car that day.

The icing on the cake was getting to meet Brian Vickers and having him autograph several items.  It was an unbelievable experience.  I cannot wait to get back to a race.

I would like to send out a HUGE thank you to Chris, Dawn, Karen, and Tim for making this an awesome weekend.  What is everybody doing in August?

Vickers' car being inspected

Tony Stewart's car

Carl Edwards' car being inspected

Turn 1 & 2

Vickers' signing autographs

Jimmy Johnson's car


Terri and Bob said...

I know I am the only person who doesn't get the allure of racing. However, this looks like fun. Bob loved the Indy 500 thing but I don't know if he likes NASCAR or not. So Gary's job was the babysitting? No thanks to him for making the whole thing a reality?? Just kidding, I bet he thanked you for GOING.

Ashley and Eric said...

David is a really good writer! I'm impressed. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! Vickers is really cute...I bet Jeanne took that picture!